Gauge: ‘P4’ | Period: 1883 | Region: Scottish | Operating team: East of Scotland 4mm Group
Before the opening of the Forth Bridge in 1890, Burntisland was the southern terminus of railways in Fife. All goods and passengers heading south had to transfer to ships to cross the Firth of Forth. Burntisland 1883 shows the station and dock facilities in 1883, with passengers transferring to paddle steamer, goods rolling stock shunted and transferred to ships.
The dock at Burntisland is near the Fife coal fields, and had coal-hoists to lift an entire wagon and empty it into the hold of a freighter. We show a working example of one of the four hoists. Typically coal left Burntisland for Scandinavia, and timber for pit-props was imported on the same ships.
Burntisland and Edinburgh had terminals for the world’s first roll-on-roll-off ferry, we show this ferry and it’s connecting bridge, moving wagons onto the boat to sail south.
Passenger services from Burntisland head north east. Our locomotive fleet includes number 224, known as ‘The Diver’ which fell from the Tay Bridge, was recovered and rebuilt. We also show local stopping passenger services, with passenger operations following the period timetable.
Burntisland had an extensive locomotive and wagon works. Our model includes the roundhouse engine shed, with views inside the building where locomotives are turned and stored. Outside, an ash crane empties the ash-pit.
Burntisland 1883 is built to Scalefour standards. Most items are either scratchbuilt, or kits designed by the team behind the layout. It is the result of about 20 years work.