Modellers with the Matchbox/Revell 1/72 Twin Otter kit in their stash now have extra colour scheme options.
Iliad Design has previously released 1/72 markings for the Matchbox/Revell DHC-6 Twin Otter, but its new sheet 72021 ‘More DHC-6 Twin Otters’ provides a further liveries for fans of the type. And there’s plenty of variation in colour across the six different airframes… the most vivid example sporting floats rather than wheels, as with the other five machines. The choices are:
• 13808, Royal Canadian Air Force in United Nations service, Indo-Pakistan War, 1971
• 77-0465/98 STAND IN THE DOOR, USAF Parachute Team, Air Force Academy
• EA61, Ethiopian Army, November 1976
• AN262, Panamanian Naval Air Service
• 941, Chilean Air Force, search and rescue, Easter Island
• 309/OB-R-1158, Peruvian Air Force used by Transportes Aéreos Nacionales de Selva (TANS)
A wealth of detail lies on Iliad’s instructions, with colour profiles and plan views provided, as well as photos and text describing the three different side door fits (and how to replicate the ‘Ikhana’ parachutist door and other structural nuances on the USAF Twin Otter). An isometric drawing for each aircraft shows the necessary antenna layouts, too.
Read about Iliad's recent 1/48 A-1 Skyraider markings
This is a well-considered decal selection from Iliad, and the markings themselves are superb, being printed with great colour density on super-thin gloss carrier film. And it’s the perfect excuse to obtain the Matchbox/Revell kit if you don’t have it already. The decals cost $14 direct from Iliad Design.
Note that Iliad’s previous sheet for the Twin Otter (72015) offers markings for Ecuadorian, Guatemalan and French French Air Force examples, as well as aircraft flown by Canada’s Department of Transport and the US Army Alaskan National Guard.