If you plan to build Airfix’s superb new-tool 1/48 Sea King helicopter, Model Art’s fresh decal set provides even more variety.
Airfix caused a real stir with its surprise release of a 1/48 Sea King earlier this year and fine builds are already gracing display tables at model shows. If you plan to tackle this well-detailed beast, but like to explore other potential liveries, look no further than Model Art’s new decal set, 48/018 Westland Sea King (Royal Navy).
HAS.1, HAS.2 and HU.5 airframes are all catered for, there being ten in all – and parts to complete each of these sub-types are present in the Airfix new-tool kit. Model Art’s anti-submarine schemes are all in RAF Blue Grey, while the HU.5 sports Medium Sea Grey with Signal Red panels. The liveries are:
• HAS.1, XV671/040/R, 824 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, 1974
• HAS.1, XV695/303/PW, 819 NAS, Prestwick, 1973
• HAS.1, XV714/413/BL, 820 NAS, HMS Blake, 1974
• HAS.1, XV657/596/CU, 706 NAS, Culdrose, 1973
• HAS.2, XZ578/055/R, 824 NAS, HMS Ark Royal, 1978
• HAS.2, XV700/264/B, 814 NAS, HMS Bulwark, 1980
• HU.5, XV647/20, 771 NAS, Culdrose, 1989
• HU.5, XV647/28, 771 NAS, Culdrose, 2013
• HU.5, XZ578, 771 NAS, HMS Gannet SAR Flight, Prestwick, 2009
Model Art’s instructions are as detailed as ever, with plenty of notes for accuracy. The other bonus is that most of the anti-submarine unit badges are colourful, adding interest to the monotone scheme. Sharp printing on thin, gloss carrier film is a welcome trait of these markings. The sheet is available direct from Model Art for £10.