No model of the quintessential Great Western branch line would be complete without one of that company’s little 0-4-2Ts and matching autocoach. EVAN GREEN-HUGHES traces the origins of this attractive tank engine back to the mid-19th century.
Above: GWR ‘14XX’ 1451 pauses at Hemyock with the 1.42pm branch train from Tiverton Junction on August 8 1962. Milk tankers were often included in these branch line trains where a single tanker needed moving from one location to another. Mike Fox/Rail Archve Stephenson.