Eagle Editions’ latest issue of its popular Luftwaffe aircraft reference series offers yet more fascinating photos and inspiring artwork.
Any modeller keen on replicating Luftwaffe subjects can benefit hugely from the Wings of the Black Cross series of softback books. They offer a mix of useful period photos – most being sharp and revealing – along with beautiful colour profiles of selected aircraft featured in photo form.
This, the 13th instalment, offers images of the Bf 109E-1/E-3/E-4 on its early pages, but ‘109F-4s also appear, including Yellow 14 flown by the ‘Star of Africa’ Lt Hans-Joachim Marseille. A real gem of an image (accompanied by a close-up) shows the Bf 109G-6 White 3 and its unusual mottle camouflage in stark detail.
Various Bf 110s also grace the pages, including a sharkmouth machine, as well as a peachy study of a 7./LG 2 Bf 110 with the unit’s devil’s head artwork on the nose. There is also an interesting selection of photos of the Me 262, while the Ju 87 Stuka and Ju 88 are also prominent; two shots of the latter type feature aircraft in winter whitewash camouflage and the detail is splendid. And fans of the fascinating Mistel family won’t be disappointed either, having four images from which to glean useful reference.
Other types shown in this edition include the Arado Ar 196, Fieseler Fi 156 Storch and Messerschmitt Bf 108. The excellent colour profiles, with scheme notes, are of the following:
• Bf 109E-1, Black 2, Lt Helmut Strobl, 5./JG 27
• Bf 109E-4, Wk Nr.5894 ‘Chevron Vertical Bar’, Oblt Walter Radlick, Stab III./JG 53
• Bf 109F-4/B, Wk Nr.13005/Blue 12, Gefr Franz Langhammer, 10./(J)/JG 2
• Bf 109F-4 Trop, Wk Nr.8693/Yellow 14, Lt Hans-Joachim Marseille, 3./JG 27
• Bf 109G-6/R6 Trop, White 3, Uffz Franz Stadler, 7./JG 27
• Bf 109G-14, Wk Nr.463141/Black 17, 2./NAGr.14
• Bf 110C-2, Wk Nr.3131/M8+FN, 5./ZG 76
• Bf 110D, L2+FR, 7.(F)/LG 2
This is yet another pleasing array of images and artwork for Luftwaffe modellers – across 38 pages – and is available direct from Eagle Editions for $19.95.
Wings of the Black Cross Number Thirteen
By: Mark Proulx
Format: 280 x 216mm